"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Friendlystone



I guess it started a year ago.  It was when then that I noticed that people that I knew started waving at me when I traveled through the ParkOr that I started running into people as I shopped in the neighboring towns.  The villages in Yellowstone are like small communities of people and you are eventually bound to come across them as they live their regular lives.  I remember the first time that someone waved to me as I drove through Gardiner, or the first time I ran into someone shopping at the Food Farm or a store in Cody.  And this past spring I started seeing people that I knew in Bozeman.  Coming from a small town I know that sometimes it can take years before a person is considered a 'local' but I have slid comfortably into the title of 'local' in the Mammoth community, and a formal local in the Canyon community.  As my boss says:  "Robyn, you were meant to be here."  And here I am.

A warning to all English teachers:  bad grammar ahead.  I also have come to believe that I cannot not see a bear.  These past few days I have been seeing grizzly bears in the Mammoth area, by Norris, in Hayden Valley and by Fishing Bridge.  No matter where I go I am seeing bears.  What a treat for me. 
On Saturday, after a day of seeing people I know in Bozeman, I traveled to Wapiti.  Though Sylvan Pass is currently open during the day this past weekend it was only open 8:00 pm through 10:00 am.  Right before Lake Butte Overlook there is a washout of part of the road and a traffic signal was put up because of the one-lane travel. 
 Sylvan pass also had a temporary traffic sign put up warning motorists not to stop for 2 miles over the pass because of avalanche danger.  On my return on Sunday night I came to the East Entrance at 7:45 only to be greeted with about 50 other motorists waiting in line to go across the pass.  I didn't go through the gate until 8:30.
Bunsen Peak


Though it is June 8 it still snows throughout the Park.  We were warmly greeted with temps in the 80's earlier this week but lately we are lucky if it gets out of the 40's.  I have driven through snow these past couple of days, mostly in the Lake and Canyon areas.  Today was an overcast and dreary day but the crowds in the Park have started to build.  With vacations planned months in advance for many visitors they have little choice but to enjoy the Park with the weather that they are given.  Though you may have to bundle up a bit there is plenty to see and enjoy here.  Baby bison, elk and bears are making appearance and that alone is worth the visit.  Your body may be chilled but there is plenty to see to warm the heart.