"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Robyn's Buffalo

Last night I saw another grizzly on Dunraven Pass. It was doing some digging and chewing. It must of found something tasty to eat. When I got back to Canyon I found that 2 bison had decided to wander around the dorms and then into the field between the dorm and some cabins. We watched them for awhile and when of them decided to continue walking straight toward a couple children Bill called out to the kids to move away. About that time Linda yelled out her window "Robyn, behind you!" I jumped and twirled around only to find Vern and Linda laughing . I got her back when she was sitting quietly with her computer. Now any bison that wanders too closely to anyone is labeled "Robyn's Buffalo". Dave says that I've spent so many years with animals that they must be naturally drawn to me (he also added that maybe I excrete bison pheromones).

I'm sad to report that about 1 1/2 weeks ago 4 Yellowstone Bison were killed. Unfortunately for the bison they do not realize that there is an invisible boundary that can mean life or death for them. 4 bison have been crossing out of the park into Montana just north of West Yellowstone and were eventually killed. Bison that leave the park can be either shot or herded up and sent to slaughter.

It is a beautiful clear day today, maybe all the rain, clouds and hail are behind us. It is about 72 degrees; not too hot and not too cold. For my break I decided to head down to Fishing Bridge and about 1 mile into my drive I was beginning to wonder if it was a good idea or not as I immediately found myself in a bison jam (the same 2 that visit the dorms). After eventually clearing that one I found myself in another in Hayden Valley. I eventually made it to Fishing Bridge and back with time to blog before going back to work for 3 hours.