"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Steamy Bison

With it being BLT night in the EDR I didn't really expect the evening to get much better. But life is full of little surprises and I found out that BLT night can get better. Just north of Roaring Mountain I saw The Magnificent One standing off from the road. With the rain this evening all the thermal features were showing off their gassy vapors and the stream that was flowing in front of him was steaming, making the sight very majestic. Just beyond him I spotted a huge bull elk grazing on the hillside. I can't imagine having to maneuver through the trees and underbrush with those huge antlers.

Another great sight I have been seeing lately is the herds of bison in the morning in Hayden Valley with steam rising off of their backs as they stand in the sunshine. I have wanted to take a picture of all the steamy bison but I'm just not sure if a picture would actually capture the true look of it. I guess the next time I'll just have to get the camera out and give it a try.

A dorm mate has reported hearing elk bugling throughout the night from her dorm room. She also simultaneously heard wolves last night. I must of slept through it but that would be a great sound to hear at night.