"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Friday, September 25, 2009


View from Hayden Valley 3:30

I went to Hayden Valley this morning and there was no sign of smoke. The cool nights help. There is a sign in Hayden Valley that says: Natural Fire Do Not Report. We'll see what happens as the day warms and progresses. The fire is clearing the way for new growth for next year.

Last night I sat outside and listened to three elks screaming. The wildlife obviously does not have the 11:00 Quiet Time that us humans abide by. One was very close and bugled continuously. I thought it would be nice to have a recording of it but I know that recordings really don't compare to hearing it naturally. In fact, we play a video in the store during the day where there is a scene with an elk bugling. To be honest, it kind of reminds me of the scene from Dumb & Dumber when Jim Carey's character says, "Do you want to hear the most annoying sound ever?" So as far as bugling elks go, natural is definitely better. I'll actually miss hearing them at night.

Yesterday morning as I drove through Hayden Valley I saw 3 wolves. They were wandering around the area known as the Rendezvous (east side of the road by the tree line near Alum Creek). That would be 4 wolves I've seen these past few days as I drove through without stopping and searching. Also, this past week there have been numerous bear sightings on Dunraven. In Hayden yesterday afternoon I also saw the results of a fender bender. I think someone was looking at the smoke and ran into the back end of another vehicle.