"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Morgan: NPS Volunteer

Morgan is the newest volunteer at the Canyon Visitor Center. She stopped in during her day off from the Adventure Store to show us her new uniform. She will be working in the visitor center on Mondays and during her shift changes on Thursdays. She is so excited. Also, a big Yellowstone 'Hello' goes out to Morgan's grandmother!

I've had to go to Gardiner a couple times this past week in the evenings and I've found driving through Swan Lake Flats a regular obstacle course. The pull outs are lined with photographers in chairs with their scopes and equipment. Everyone is waiting for the hopeful arrival of the mama bear with the four cubs. Ken had gone there a few times and talked with a NPS ranger who said that DNA testing was being done on the droppings to see if all four cubs were hers or if she adopted any of them. It is unusual to have so many cubs. I have yet to see her as I don't stop - as if there was a place to stop.

I also heard something about someone being gored by a bison yesterday. Yikes! The herd is growing larger in Hayden Valley. Yesterday morning I had to stop as the entire herd walked down the road. I always roll down my window so I can hear the clip clop of their hooves on the pavement and to hear their puffs and grunts. There were lots of little red baby bison with little horn knobs.

Finally yesterday there was some sun and warmth. The mercury rose to almost 70 degrees so I took every opportunity to step outside and enjoy it. As for the rest of the week: rain and thunderstorms are in the forecast.

Ken has left us for Grant Village but our newest arrival is Matt who came in yesterday. He is going to fit in nicely with our happy group. I have assigned Dave and Morgan to represent the Adventure Store in the YGS Social Committee. I can't wait to see what fun activities they come up with for the two stores here in Canyon. So far we had an evening of ice cream and line dancing. Too much fun.