"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, June 7, 2010

I Moose Be Seeing Things

On Saturday, as I was driving down the winding dirt road from Patrick's cabin in Wapiti I rounded a rain slicked bend in the road and found a mama moose and her new baby right in the middle of the road. It was one of the last things I expected to see and it took me a second to realize that this massive, brown, leggy creature was a moose. She was surprised to see me sliding to a stop and rocked back and forth trying to decide which side of the road she should make her quick exit to.
She decided to head up slope away from the stream.
While her youngun' struggled to keep his legs under him/her as he maneuvered between the rocks and brush trying to keep up with his/her mama. What a lucky day, seeing such a site and having my SD card in my camera!

Maryellen and Dave stopped in the store to say 'hi' to me but I was gone. Sorry to have missed you both! And I'm sorry to have missed Dan, but thanks for stopping in. I did manage to meet my Soul Sister, Maureen. It was great to finally meet you! Also, a "Hello" goes out to Kimberly and Pat. Pat is building a website: www.secretyellowstone.com. Check it out! And a big "Hello" to Sharon and former Park employee James! Thanks for writing everyone, it's always fun to hear from people but I'm falling behind in my replies. Please be patient and I will find a moment from all my fun to get back to you!

John & Jackie came to Wapiti from a brief visit Saturday afternoon after doing their weekly Cody shopping but had to spend 1 hour waiting for the East Entrance to open. There had been a bit of a rock slide by Lake Butte. The constant rain is causing a few slides, flood watches, and causing the rivers to rise and flow wildly. The North Fork of the Shoshone is a mass of brown waves with the occasional tree floating by. As it runs into the Cody Reservoir it is causing the west side to be brown from everything the water picks up along the way. Rain is in the forecast for at least another week. On Friday the ice on Yellowstone Lake finally went out.

The bear jams seem to be rather numerous in the area. There was one this morning on the other side of Dunraven and on Friday by the marina. There is a dead bison on the Washburn Trail which caused it to be closed. And everyone is marveling at the bear with 4 cubs on Swan Lake Flats. It seems that everyone I've talked to has seen a bear recently. Though I haven't seen a bear since last week I did manage to spot a bighorn sheep on the side of the road on Sylvan Pass on Sunday.

On Saturday Patrick and I went to The Irma in Cody. The Irma is a hotel and restaurant that was once owned by Buffalo Bill Cody and named after his daughter. I had heard numerous good things about it and I finally got to eat there. And what was on the menu for us that evening?? Well, one of the delicacies of the West: Rocky Mountain Oysters. Yup, I just had to try them so I could say that I've had them. I even had seconds. It wasn't horrible, I just didn't really try to think too hard about what I was eating. It is definitely a 'done that' type situation that I don't plan on doing again. BTW, they don't taste anything like oysters!!