"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Celebrities in Yellowstone

A typical sight in Mammoth Hot Springs

 On Tuesday evening Jeremy and Tina hosted an evening of food and fun for Kim, who's final day at the store was Friday.  Jeremy and Tina smoked and cooked a brisket and the rest chipped in with other delicious items.  Everyone from the Mammoth General Store who could make it came and socialized.  What a great group of people!
Kim, LouAnn and Brenda

 I finally hit the mother of all jams in Hayden Valley Thursday night.  The road was clogged from Alum Creek up to Grizzly Overlook.  And what was causing such a stir?
 The sow grizzly with two cubs.  They were a distance from the road but I could see the 3 brown bumps moving through the brush.  I hadn't seen a bear in a couple weeks but with the very slow moving traffic I was able to watch them and actually get a picture of them........though it is from quite a distance.
 Yesterday a cinnamon black bear was spotted on the hill behind the store.  We all rushed for our cameras and I was able to capture a few shots of her.  She has been a regular in the Mammoth area for a few years but this was my first sighting of her.
I include this picture I took by Canyon Village as something people should NOT do.  Bison are lightening quick and this fella could rise to his feet and charge and send a person airborne before there was a chance to push the shutter button.  
Lately I have been watching a new show in tv called:  Attention.  Aquiring Satellite Signal.  Please Wait.  I've been watching it for days.  Not much of a plot.  So if something interesting is happening out in the world I know nothing of it.  Yellowstone has its share of famous visitors.  This past week Andrea got the opportunity to wait on a celebrity herself.  An actor from the show True Blood came into the Adventure Store (I didn't recognize the name of the actor but she definately knew him!).  Last year Georgette Engel came into the Mammoth General Store (Mary Tyler Moore Show and Everyone Loves Raymond).  I would have loved to seen her and Judy said she is as nice in person as the characters she has portrayed.  Faye once helped Michael Jordan at Old Faithful, Kenny Rogers once ate at Fishing Bridge (but had to leave his meal when he was bombarded with fans) and last summer John Cusak was reported to be seen in Gardiner.  With my limited tv viewing I guess the biggest celebrities I could hope to see in Yellowstone would be those people from The Weather Channel.  Jim Cantore, Yellowstone is waiting for you!