"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fishing on Yellowstone Lake

Bridge Bay Marina
This past weekend I got to have one of those 'first time' experiences.  I got to be on a boat on Yellowstone Lake.  Earlier in the week we launched the boat.  While Patrick ran the boat motor I was assigned the job of backing up - Patrick had to place it perfectly straight because I am absolutely unable to backup a trailer without it zig zagging all over the place with the end result being an unintentional jack-knife.  My next job (which I assigned myself) was to slurp on a green apple slushie from the Bridge Bay YGS.

On sunday, with a bit of fishing in mind, Patrick, myself, Andrea and Buddy (a dog) boarded the Park Robyn and took from the marina toward the blue waters of Yellowstone Lake.
Lake Hotel

Fishing off from Stevenson Island
Our destination was Stevenson Island.  Andrea and I spent the early afternoon fishing.  Casting and reeling in......but not one bite.  There was a bit of excitement between us when we saw a fish jump behind the boat.
We fished on every side of Stevenson Island, enjoyed the beauty of the scenery and located familiar landmarks look so very different from the perspective of the lake.  And no fishing excursion would be complete until someone says:  "Hey Robyn, you have a hook on your butt."  A persons dignity does become lost when you stand there with a Jake's lure hanging off your behind.
View from Lake Butte Overlook

Robyn and Andrea
Andrea and I laugh at ourselves because of the fact that most of the shirts we own say Yellowstone on them. 

The Park has been incredibly busy this past week.  During my breaks at work I will sit on the porch in front of the store and watch the people and cars pass by.  The temps have been warm, somedays it gets into the 90's.  We always look forward to a nice breeze to help cool us down and keep air flowing through the store.

Even though I travel on a regular basis through the Park my wildlife sightings have been rather slow.  I did see two foxes running on the road north of Fishing Bridge the other morning and then in Hayden a coyote jogged off the edge of the road.  Most of the bison that I have been seeing have been lone bison and not the large herds that I have been accustomed to seeing the previous summers.  I have been seeing herds of elk.  The other morning at 5:30 I noticed something bobbing in the Yellowstone River between Canyon and Hayden Valley.  After studying it for a moment I realized that an elk was swimming madly across the river.
Next week my good friends Lyle, Denise, Levi and Leah are coming to Yellowstone to see the sights and visit me.  I am so excited that I will be seeing them and playing tour guide for a few days.  Denise came back with me from Minnesota two years ago and spent a couple days in the Park and now will be accompanied by her husband and children.  Good friends and good times lay ahead.
Hayden Valley in the morning