"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Welcome To My Nightmare

This is one day that I am glad is over. We are severely understaffed and with the holiday weekend we were swamped. With 20 people lined up to be checked out there is only one thing that can be expected.........technical difficulties with the register. I was moved throughout the store when my register had a meltdown. I went from the bull pen to groceries and then to confections. The register in confections had a glitch where I had to hand enter every credit card. A real pain when there is a long line. And of course there was the issues with running out of coins and having to locate a supervisor. Every employee was dragging by the end of the day.

There was an accident at Norris Junction 12 miles to the west of Canyon this morning. It was pretty severe and 2 helicopters had to be called in to haul the injured to either Salt Lake City or some place in Idaho. The road was closed for 2 hours. Employees are offered helicopter insurance for about $30 a season. Since YNP is so remote the only way an injured person is taken out of here is by helicopter and can cost up to $20,000.

It started raining right after dinner so my trip through Hayden tonight was a bust. Bears don't care to come out in the rain. So instead I decided to stay in and do my laundry. And that is about all I have the energy for. I'm glad I have tomorrow off.