"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Christmas in August

Yesterday I had to drive a coworker to West Yellowstone. She had sustained some facial injuries and had to leave for home (a family member was meeting her in West). We are sad to see her leave under those circumstances.

Last night was the annual Christmas in August program. We celebrated Christmas Eve with tons of snacks provided by all the employees and then we all watched the program which was also put on by the employees. The recreation room was decorated for Christmas beautifully. A few groups put on skits and some sang songs. A group of Chinese workers sang a few songs including a song for Chinese New Year and handed out Chinese New Year Cards. Very nice! One group sang the 12 Days of Christmas using items from the store and my group did a skit about bananas. I got up and read a poem about bananas and I had made a costume of a 5 foot banana with a cutout for my face. The rest of the group wore huge yellow cones on their heads. It was a lot of fun. We played games and then we all got presents (sweatshirts, mugs, t-shirts, etc.).

Today we are having a Christmas dinner in the EDR and we are all wearing our battery-powered flashing Santa hats at work. The huge moose (you know what I'm talking about if you've ever been in the store) will even be decorated today for Christmas. We all are to wear Christmas shirts if we had one. I made one but I am now wondering if it really was a good idea to have sewn the little red bows with bells all over it. I guess I will be jingling through the store.

Merry Christmas in August to everyone!