"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Jackson Hole's Elk Antler Arch


This is for the benefit of anyone who has not made it to Jackson Hole. The city park entrances
have these huge elk antler arches.

Last evening on my way back from Fishing Bridge I did get to see another coyote in Hayden Valley. This one was right off the road heading toward the river. Some of the coyotes I have seen in past years seem a little ragged but so far the ones this year look sleek and healthy. It was getting dark so I just watched him for a few moments and I didn't even bother to try and get a picture of him.

Lone bison bulls seem to enjoy being right next to the roads and create quite a traffic slowdown. Between Hayden and Fishing Bridge I came to a two mile crawl as everyone slowed down to see a bull standing on the edge of the road chewing his cud. I've noticed lately that ambulances and the drivers are stationed by them as the driver waves those orange sticks to keep traffic moving. I have no answer as to why they have the ambulances there.....maybe in anticipation of a wreck with the traffic.