"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Up Go the Snow Markers

On my trips north of Norris I couldn't help but notice that the Magnificent Seven herd has been reduced to the Magnificent One. So I have had to change the whole meaning of the word 'one'. The bison in the Park are on the roam and I am finding them, alone and in herds, in places that I have not seen them this summer. Between Canyon and Norris has been a notorious 'dead spot' for me and my quest for wildlife. But the other day I actually got in a bison jam there as a herd wandered up the road toward Canyon, quite possibly the herd that I've seen north of Norris these past couple of weeks. Even heading up Sylvan Pass from Fishing Bridge I came across a loan bull standing by the side of the road. It is quite thrilling to see them in as they head toward new ground but it does also mean that extra caution should be used when navigating roadways in areas that before saw no bison.

The bison are still causing a stir in Hayden as they stand right next to the road. Lots of cars are pulling over and people wandering around to snap their pictures. To be honest at times I have that 'been there done that' attitude but generally I am in awe of the huge beasts and I always sneak a peak at them as I drive through. Though the Park is less crowded I am still willing to wait another week or so to actually pull over and join a few people to watch. Still too many people for my taste. Occasionally I find a quiet spot to watch from a distance, both bison and people because people are the wildest animal of all.

Also new these past few days are the snow markers being placed on the sides of the roads. It's kind of eerie to see them go up. They are being put up at this time because there are actually more park workers to put them up now instead of waiting later in the season. It feels like they just came down so it shows how fast time goes.