"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Coyotes, Bison & Bears

After my last post I headed down to Hayden Valley. Right before Alum Creek I stopped to watch a couple of coyotes. One was right by the road but then wandered a little bit off and layed down for a while. Coyotes are great fun to watch. I headed further down the road and just past Mud Volcano I saw what is quite possibly the largest grizzly bear I have ever seen. He was inky black and had just crossed the road and was heading toward the Yellowstone River. It was just me and two other cars watching him. It was incredible.

I headed further south and ended up where the Arnica Fire had crossed the road a couple of weeks ago. It was near the location that I had taken the picture of Jackie, Dave and myself. I then came back north and headed over Dunraven Pass, which had just opened the previous night. At the summit I came across three bison heading down the middle of the road over the pass to the north.
Sunday I went to Lamar Valley for the first time in a couple months. I watched a pack of 5 coyotes wandering by the river and the bison that were spread across the road.

Yesterday I went back down to Hayden Valley but had to stop and watch a couple of coyotes mousing in the field to the west of Canyon Junction. I got a couple of great shots of them leaping into the air as they pounced on their dinner. The bison herd in Hayden were all laying around by Alum Creek. It rained here last night, heavy at times. And the tops of the mountains are powdered with snow. An elk herd can be seen from my kitchen window and I can hear them bugle all day long.

Today was my first day working in Mammoth. I'm getting used to where everything is. There is slight variations in what is sold between stores so I'm seeing product that is new to me. I am also meeting people that I will be working with all winter and some that I will only work with for 10 more days (their contract ends Nov. 1). A large bull elk likes to hang out by the door that I use when I come to work so I've been shown an alternate door to use when that happens.
The past few days of seeing and listening to the wildlife it occured to me that I don't need to watch the Discovery Channel.......I live the Discovery Channel.