"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Adventure Continues

This is my 170th post and I've seen the end of the season at Canyon Village. But the adventure continues as I will be starting my new position at Yellowstone General Store at Mammoth in YNP on October 20! I will be spending the winter in the wonderland that is Yellowstone National Park. I am currently in Minnesota spending time with my children (I have 3: 2 boys & 1 girl) and I will be attending a baby shower for my first grandchild (a girl due December 22).

In my last couple days in Canyon I saw snow that closed Dunraven Pass for a couple days, saw the opening of the road to Grant and said goodbye to some great friends. I spent 2 days working in the Adventure Store (also known as the Outdoor Store and Sporting Goods Store) helping with the overflow of hungry people who went there when the Fountain closed on Wednesday. The Adventure Store is also owned by Delaware North who owns the General Stores in YNP. I did make it back to the General Store in time last Friday at noon to witness the official 'locking of the doors' for the season.

I left YNP last Saturday at 4:40 am for my 14 hour drive back to Minnesota. On my way out of the village the moon was very full and I could see a herd of elk laying in the field with the bull elk standing amongst them. Goodbye noisy bull elk. I looked for Bob as I crossed over to Norris (I saw him earlier in the week). Goodbye Bob. I drove carefully from Norris to Mammoth and kept my eyes open for the Magnificent One and the army of bison that was amassing with him (a small army of about 6). Goodbye Magnificent One. I drove through the north arch at 6:00. Goodbye Yellowstone National Park. Maybe instead of goodbye more appropriate words would be "I'll see you again."

Driving across Montana a joke occurred to me:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: To prove to the Montana deer it could be done.

Goodness, there are a lot of dead deer on the highway in Montana!

One of the first things I had to accomplish in Minnesota was to find a reliable vehicle capable of handling snowy, windy and steep roads. I was driving a Chrysler 300 this summer, which rides low and does not have front wheel drive. Yesterday I bought myself a 2005 Chevy Equinox. I feel safer now. It should do just fine when I cruise on over to a wintry Lamar Valley to watch the wolves.

Canyon 2009 has come to an end. Mammoth in Winter will start in a few days. And Canyon 2010 is just a few short months around the corner. I'm looking forward to continuing working and living in the worlds first national park. And I am excited about continuing my blog and updating everyone on what is happening in the YNP and with myself. I'll include my happiness, frustrations, whining, the mundane and the sheer enjoyment and excitement of life in Yellowstone. Thanks for reading!!!!! Oh, and everyone from Canyon this summer: I miss you and I hope we'll meet again next year. It's not 'goodbye' it's 'I'll see you again."