"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, April 23, 2011

-5 Degrees.....And Did I Mention It Is April?

I took this picture yesterday and it will give you an idea of how much snow we still have at Canyon Village. 

Ranger Pat and Ranger Dave stopped in the store yesterday to introduce themselves.  We had a discussion about the ravens and how much I would like a sign reminding visitors that they are not to be fed.  2 hours later this sign appeared.  Thanks!

Lower Falls

 This morning was a chilling -5 degrees at Canyon.  I had not made it to see the falls since last summer so this morning I bundled up and went to see them at 7:00.  In the past couple of weeks I have been able to hear their roar outside of the store so I knew I was going to see something spectacular.  I was not disappointed.  With it being so cold there was copious amounts of steam rising from the falls and the yellow of the canyon was accented by the bright white snow.  I would have waited a while longer for the sun to really hit the canyon for a better picture but I was just too cold to wait.
 This morning was the day for the Adventure Store ranger talk.  At 8:00 we waited inside the store  for Ranger Chris to arrive when around the corner came this bison.  He looked toward the store then slowly ambled up to the door.  He took time to sniff our wooden bear out front while we took pictures through the glass windows.
 The bison is terribly thin and I wonder if he is the same one that I saw a few weeks ago on the road.  If it is he surely has lasted longer than I had expected.  I don't know what he has been eating these past few weeks to sustain himself, or maybe he has just survived on any remaining fat and tissues that he had in his body.  From the looks of him now there isn't much left.
Ranger Chris

We had only been open a couple days when I got a visit from blog readers Larry and PegI had met Larry last year when I was at Grant and now he was here with his wife for a spring visit.  Thanks for stopping in!

I have seen very few of the Yellowstone wildlife these past couple of weeks.  I did see a perfectly posed fox on a snowbank on Swan Lake Flat last week.  I stopped to snap a photo but I neglected to put in my SD card!  Flashback to last year when I tried to take a picture of a fox going over Sylvan Pass without my SD card.  I hate that.  I have been seeing the same lone bison about 1 mile south of Indian Creek for about 2 months now.  He graze to the west of the road by the water.  And he always seems to be in the same 2 acre area.
The other morning I saw a fox wandering around in front of the store.  I tried for yet another fox picture but it wandered behind a snowbank before I could snap the shutter.  There are plenty of fox prints in the snow surrounding the store.  In fact there are some coming up the back wooden stairs and then out across the rooftop.  That would of made a great picture.

The bison babies are making their appearance at Old Faithful and Mammoth.  Josh took a trip to OF and came a cross a mama bison with her newborn that had just been delivered right on the road.  Later he came back through a snowfall and found them in the same spot, the little bison calf laying there under a blanket of snow next to its mother.  I am anxious to see my first bison calf.
Snowfall has been a normal occurrence here at Canyon.  It falls daily.  And as I mentioned, it was -5 degrees this morning so the cold is still here, too.  But with bright blue skies and a big yellow sun it is very beautiful today.  The weekends weather looks great but then it is back to more snowflakes early next week.  We are becoming snow weary.