"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

CoolWorks......Where My Adventure Began

Snowplow plowing Canyon Village on the morning of April 26
Having survived the bitter Saturday morning and the gorgeous Sunday day we were greeted with yet more snow Monday which continued into today.  Yesterday I drove my evening drive to Mammoth in snow and slush and with limited visibility across Swan Lake Flat.  Coming down into Mammoth I found a near snowless landscape though it had snowed most of they day there.  I needed to run an errand in Gardiner so I kept on going and that is when I saw it........my first bouncing baby bison of the year.  It was walking behind its mother through a slight drizzle on the Chinese Garden.  It was a beautiful red baby that was just a day or two old.  After seeing so many sad and starving beasts lately it was made me feel so warm to see this new life.

I saw Andrea and Judy at the Two Bit for their regular Margarita Monday meeting.  It was nice to visit with my two good friends.  Then I headed back to Mammoth in rain which turned into snow.  And once again my windshield wipers went haywire and they ended up knotted together on my windshield.  I pried them apart and ended up with one ripping off.  Patrick to the rescue this morning when he voluntarily took one off his vehicle and put it on mine.  And then I headed back to Canyon in the snow.  

I met a few plows on the road and eventually caught up to one and followed it into Canyon.  It wasn't long after I crossed between Norris and Canyon that the road was closed behind me.  It was closed for a few hours but eventually opened to visitors later in the morning.  Though the snow had been plowed from the road and it was mostly clear the snow came down hard for most of the day making driving difficult.  Thus we were surprised when a large coach bus full of visitors arrived at the store.

The snow was causing great difficulty for one vehicle.  It had become stuck in the snow behind the store so I made a call for the rangers to come help them.  Later a young man came into the store requesting help because he had just hitchhiked to the store from South Rim Drive when the group he was with had dropped their car keys in the snow and couldn't find them. So I once again called the rangers.  It was later that I learned that it was the same group that had been stuck behind the store.  

I must also mention that Bill Berg, founder of CoolWorks, stopped at the Adventure Store this weekend and left me a couple items (Thanks, Bill!).  CoolWorks is the website that I originally went to over 2 years ago and applied to work at Yellowstone General Stores.  CoolWorks was how my Yellowstone adventure began.  It is a website with a wealth of information on how to find "Jobs in Great Places".  Not only Yellowstone but all over the world.  I have a link to CoolWorks so that you can check out all the job possibilities that are waiting for you.  Thanks Bill for doing such a great job!