"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, April 3, 2011

We Need The Sun

Technological gremlins raise their heads once again.  I am unable to upload any pictures so my narrative must suffice for now.  Last year we were doing Snow Dances trying to conjure up snowflakes but this year we are trying to stop those flakes.  It keeps snowing and blowing and the clouds keep hiding the sun.  Looking back I can't think of a day when there was a full day of complete sunshine since October.  Friday it started off gloomy but as the day wore on I found the sun shining down on my way back of from a trip to Bozeman.  The temps actually hit 63 degrees in the valley, but since I was in a car I could only enjoy the sunshine through my windshield.

Saturday Patrick needed to transfer a pickup back to Lake so I hauled a load of boxes in my vehicle behind him.  I only saw three bison on our way to Lake, one being in Willow Park, possibly the same bison I have seen there for the past two weeks.  When we got to Lake we settled in the apartment to have lunch before our trip back to Mammoth when the electricity went out.  It was not totally unexpected since the wind was howling.  We had a lunch of cheese and croutons and headed back to Mammoth.  We stopped in Hayden Valley to look for any signs of wildlife, which we saw none except a couple bison.  The wind blew so hard that it rocked my vehicle back and forth.  We didn't linger long on our way back since the trees were swaying and we had already encountered a few trees that fell across the road leaving only enough room to move a vehicle around them.

Today was not much different.  I awoke to an inch of snow on the ground and a good coating of ice on my windshield.  It periodically snowed and the wind had a mighty sting to it.  It varied between a cloudy snow and the occasional party cloudy sky.  We have agreed that we have become winter zombies and long for a full day of sun.  Judy says that the first snowflake of winter is still somewhere laying on the ground of Mammoth.  And I tend to agree.  This winter has been a long winter on beast and human in Yellowstone.