"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Another Day Another Adventure

I have been enjoying visits to Bozeman lately. I discovered a great place to buy cd's and I spent a great deal of time browsing there. I listen to a lot of music on my drives through the Park so a nice assortment of music is a must for me. However, I hate it when I buy a mix cd, pop it into my player and then discover that it is sung not by the original bands but by groups like The Singers of Studio 99. It's almost as bad as buying a whole cd that was recorded live. I'm kind of picky that way.
My drives to Bozeman are an adventure in themselves. I am constantly seeing huge herds of mule deer and I have even spotted some bighorns in the valley. Eagles, both bald and golden, are numerous and today I had 3 swans fly over. The mountains are gorgeous with the sun hitting on them just right. It is a spectacular drive. However, with much dawdling on my part I haven't been able to make it back to Gardiner in time to upload my pictures.
It's best to always pay attention when driving south from Livingston. Today I had to brake hard for a herd of mule deer that came running out into the road. There have been numerous times that I've had to slow down for antelope and deer that were on the roads edge but this was one of those instances I was sure I was going to collide with one. Luckily, my insurance man can go another day without hearing from me.
Yesterday I made it to Lamar. There have been quite a few wolf watchers there these past few weeks. The turnouts can get a bit congested so I just drive by. Most people are watching the wolves with their scopes and my scope is safely nestled in its case back at my place. I haven't been using it much lately - actually I haven't been using it at all this winter. I did manage to see a huge and beautiful red fox yesterday. By the time I parked and wandered back to a nice viewing area it had already disappeared. The ram was once again by the hitching posts. He stood like a statue soaking up some sun. I have yet to see an otter but I'm always on the look out for them.
I also saw the usual array of coyotes, bison and elk. It had snowed Friday night in Lamar so the bison were swinging their heads to clear away snow from the grass and the coyotes were plowing through chest deep snow.
The past few mornings I have been finding elk have been hanging out across the road from me. It's a great greeting in the morning when I look out my kitchen window. This morning I watched a coyote meander around the trees and rocks. The snow immediately outside my place is filled with elk tracks.
On Thursday John and Jay stopped in the store to say "Hi!" to me on their way to the Buffalo Ranch. It's always great to meet people who have contacted me. I'm still working on my e-mail replies. I always have good intentions when I sit down at the computer but sometimes time just works against me. I might have to look into buying internet service that I can use in the evenings at my leisure.
I now have new days off: Saturday and Sundays. Same great adventures just new days to experience them.