"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Winged Hitchikers

Today is an absolutely gorgeous day with the warm temp and the sunny skies. It is what I would consider a 'coat optional' day for those wandering the sidewalks of Mammoth. Yesterday the thermometer in my car registered 42 degrees and I'm sure that today will be at least that. If the clear sky holds out until tonight it will be perfect full moon viewing.
The Canyon pack has wandered into the Mammoth area. I listened to one of the researchers last summer when at Canyon and I recall him talking about the Canyon pack wandering between Mammoth and Canyon. I'm usually at work when I hear excited people talking about where the wolves are so I rarely get the opportunity to see them myself. I did, however, get to see some elk on the road this morning as I came down the hill from the Yak. I see the elk all of the time but I still enjoy seeing them.
I also got the opportunity to watch some antelope by the North Entrance yesterday. They are in that area on a regular basis. Some of the younger bull elk also hang out by the Arch and yesterday I watched one lay in the sun as a magpie wandered around on his back. Birds are notorious for hitching rides with the elk and bison. Winged hitchikers.
I have been hearing from a few of my friends from Canyon and we are all excited about getting back there.