"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, December 13, 2010

New York, New York

The holidays are great time to get away. Many people make plans to spend the time in Yellowstone. With snow, snowmobiling, beautiful Christmas Trees (outside the Admin Building and in the Map Room at the Mammoth Hotel), cross country skiing, snowshoeing, etc. there is plenty of ways to celebrate the holidays here. But I will not be here taking part in those festivities. I will be leaving Saturday morning to celebrate Christmas and ring in the New Year in New York City! It will be my first visit there and I have a list of fun adventures that I will be partaking in (riding the subway, the Staten Island Ferry, Museum of Natural History, Time Square, Central Park).

Patrick grew up on Staten Island and asked me to accompany there for the holidays where I will meet his very New York, very Italian and very large family. A small-town Minnesota gal in the big city ---- I'm sure a great comedic holiday film could be made of this.