"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, May 20, 2010

I'm A Wyomingite Now

Lately I have been having blogtime management issues. I've been doing a lot and seeing a lot but I just haven't found time to sit down and fill everyone in on the going-ons around here. I've had a few grizzly sightings. One at Swan Lake Flats and one by Yellowstone Lake. I even saw 3 male bighorns as I headed east over Sylvan Pass. There was a kill a couple days ago (I was there before the death) by Twin Lakes but there was so many people pulled over and wandering around I could only get a glimpse of an elk standing in the water. What the predator was I don't even know. If you remember my "Beauty and the Beast" story from last year you may recall that I'm not well suited to seeing the actual death.

Yesterday morning I went to Hayden Valley to make a phone call (I actually get 3 bars on my phone there!). There was a black wolf in Alum Creek with an elk kill. Another elk was wandering around nervously watching it's friend being consumed. I was in the pullout just south of Alum Creek on the phone when over the ridge came the wolf heading right toward my car. It decided to cross the road at the edge of the pullout and I watched in shear amazement. Everyone who was watching the wolf from a distance was up at the pullout to the north and here I was, having arrived late for the action, with a front row seat to the wandering wolf. And since I was only there to make a phone call I didn't even bring my camera.

There was also a couple of black bears by the Canyon Junction late this afternoon. Excited guests were busy telling the Associates about it.

The weather has been alternating between snow showers and rain. There was even a thunderstorm a couple days ago. One bolt of lightening hit by the dorms behind the big store. I happened to be sitting on the steps outside at the time and it felt like my heart was going to stop from the loud bang. It caused some telephone and computer issues at the big store and I immediately came in and unplugged my computer.

As of this past Monday I am officially a Wyoming resident. I've waited many months for Sylvan Pass to open up so I could get to Cody on a weekday so I could do this. There are quite a few people working in the Park who are from Minnesota and I jokingly like to say that Minnesotan are taking over the Park. Or am I joking?!

The Park is becoming increasingly busy. With the big store having opened last Monday the Adventure Store closed it's Fountain. Sunday was the last day it was open and over 170 hot dogs were sold. Those who work in the Fountain at the big store got some practice in before the 1:00 opening by cooking and serving the employees breakfast and lunch. I had a huge stack of pancakes. I could only eat 1/4 of it and I was still digesting them by the time lunch rolled around so all I could order then was french fries. Too bad I was so full from breakfast because we were able to order anything off the menu and I've really wanted to try a bacon cheeseburger.

I purposely took a drive after work tonight so I could get some pictures so I could share them. Wouldn't you know it, I finally had my camera and didn't see a thing.