"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Thundersnow

A Yellowstone Hello to Alan! Have a safe trip into the Park. And also to David who made it to Old Faithful to start his first job in the Park. You have a great experience ahead of you. I'm also keeping track of Stephen and his travels to the park via his gps tracking system.

Yesterday I spent my day in meetings learning things such as how Wyoming Workman's Comp paperwork is to be filled out correctly. I can't believe I still am still able to cram more info into my brain. After the meetings and before dinner I did take a quick drive back into the Park and saw my first baby bison of the year. There were two little red babies with their mothers by the Madison River. With the wind, snow, and rain I wasn't able to get a very clear picture of them off in the distance. Andrea and Dave watched a bison give birth in Lamar Valley the other day (all while Andrea was updating her Facebook status). That would be a special experience, one that I have come close to seeing but only managing to come across the baby as it is still wet and laying on the ground.

Yesterday it was snowy and windy here in West Yellowstone. I stopped to see John and Jackie and their trailer would occasionally rock back and forth from the wind gusts. Last night at 10:00 I noticed something light up the curtains. Then I heard a loud rumbling. Thundersnow! Crazy spring weather! There is more snow and wind in the forecast. I am beginning to long for a warm sunny day where standing outside doesn't involve windburn and snow blindness.