"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Yawning Coyote

I took a drive through Hayden Valley late Friday afternoon. I noticed a set of ears on top of a hill right off the side of the road and realized that a coyote was laying down at the top. It opened it's mouth and gave out a huge yawn.
Then it got up it did a big stretch and another yawn.
I spent the next 20 minutes watching it trot along, stop and tilt it's head as it stared and listened attentively to any noise a rodent may be making under the snow. It would continue on and eventually decided to come down onto the road and walk down the middle of it. After a bit it crossed over and wandered off across the snow.
I have been seeing many sandhill cranes in Hayden Valley. They walk around in pairs picking at the bison manure.
Scarface was across from the corrals again Friday afternoon. He was digging and tossing dirt and snow behind him as he dug for a snack. The ravens sat along side waiting patiently for a tidbit to come their way.
This morning I found 4 coyotes laying in a group in Hayden Valley. This is three of them and after watching them for about 5 minutes they all eventually rose and walked the opposite direction as me.

I went into Bozeman this morning to pick up some odds and ends. I saw big horn sheep in Yankee Jim Canyon right on the side of the road. The canyon is a place where a driver should always pay special attention for rocks that have slid down onto the road and for big horn sheep that tend to graze on the side of the road. By Livingston I watched a bald eagle chase another bird around. The eagle was diving toward the bird and lost control and the truck in front of me had to break hard not wanting to have a bald eagle slamming into their windshield. It eventually gained control and swooped up in the knick of time.

Since I had to be in West Yellowstone this evening for my 8:00 am meeting tomorrow I came back this afternoon through Mammoth so I could stop back at Canyon to do payroll. I saw the wolves by Swan Lake but had to keep moving forward toward Canyon so I didn't get any pictures. A few miles down the road I saw a grizzly bear off to the west, but once again time was not on my side so I kept going.

I made it to West Yellowstone this evening at 8:00 and stopped in to visit with Judy who will also be attending the meetings Monday and Tuesday. I also know Jean and Roy are here and John and Jackie are somewhere in West Yellowstone. I will search them out tomorrow. Right now I'm lounging in a extremely comfortable bed watching tv and using high speed internet. This is quite a treat!