"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Friday, April 30, 2010


Canyon Visitor Center 4/30/10



Trees in front of the Adventure Store 4/30/10


The Adventure Store 4/30/10

The last thing I remember before falling asleep last night was how toasty warm I was. The first thing I thought of this morning when I awoke was how cold it was and how annoying the sound of battery backup beeping is. The power went out at 2:00 am. My first order of business was to check the temps on the coolers and freezers. I decided the freezer items needed to be moved to a storage trailer outside so that they wouldn't thaw. So at 6:00 this morning I'm out shoveling the walk from the store to the trailer. Then I started fiddling with the padlock and was unable to open it. Robert to the rescue with his lock-thawing lighter. While he did that I started hauling boxes of frozen food out. After warming the lock and key Robert triumphantly announced he got the padlock off! At that moment the electricity popped back on. It was out for 5 1/2 hours. So Robert and I hauled all the boxes back in and put them in the freezer. It was a good workout.

The roads are still closed and with no one in sight it was decided the store would close for the day. This is the 3rd day of road closures and windy snow. After lunch a group left to go look for the black wolf that was spotted by the road to Artist Point. Rob, one of the maintenance men, spotted it on his way here from Fishing Bridge.

I like this snowy adventure but I'm beginning to think that I prefer a snowy adventure with electricity.