"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Swan Lake, Hayden Valley and Bison Pictures

On Friday as I was heading down to Lake this is what greeted me on Swan Lake Flats. It was white-out conditions which caused me concern as to what I was going to find at Hayden Valley. The worry was for nothing as the roads were mostly clear even though the wind was blowing. There were a few snowdrifts on the road to maneuver around but it was not as bad as I had anticipated.
Not far after the Flats I watched a coyote fighting off the wind. The picture does not show it well but his fur was really moving with the wind.

A herd of bison were wandering around the thermal features by Mud Volcano.


After a few days of snow and wind Hayden Valley was thick with white on Sunday. There were only a couple lone bison that I could see. They were either laying in the snow or just standing. I watched this one for awhile as a bald eagle flew overhead.



Dragon's Mouth was puffing up it's steamy vapors.

View of Hayden Valley after snow.

The Yellowstone River and a thermal feature. It was a beautiful sight.

The snowdrifts in Hayden Valley were getting rather high. Luckily the wind had calmed and the snow had stopped so driving on Sunday was much easier. Right after I took this picture a snowplow came around the corner - just 1 of 3 vehicles that I saw the entire 50 mile trip back to Mammoth.
I currently have all my stuff packed into boxes ready to be hauled down to Canyon. I made a few stops in Gardiner to finish up some business and then I will be on my way this afternoon. Yesterday a few of my Mammoth friends stopped in the store to say goodbye with promises of stopping in at the Adventure Store to see me this summer. I didn't realize how many people I have come to know in Mammoth and it was certainly a bittersweet day.