"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grizzly #2

I have received quite a few letters from people commenting on how much they would love to be in Yellowstone living and working....or at least for an extended visit. I am very lucky to live and work here and to have the opportunity to experience and see all that I do . I 'live' Yellowstone everyday and I try to never take it for granted. I wish that everyone could be and do what they love.

And in my thrilling and exciting Yellowstone life I mopped the floor today. Yup, even here the mundane can creep in. But the whole time I was mopping I was thinking about the Adventure Store opening for the season tomorrow afternoon at 1:00. So that newly mopped floor of mine does have some excitement for me. Guests will come through that door this weekend with fun and fascinating stories, dreams of seeing a grizzly, eyes as big a saucers as they talk about the bison in the road, and memories of their trip to Yellowstone.

Besides my memory of floor mopping on April 15 I will also remember this day as the one where I saw my second grizzly bear for 2010. I went for my Hayden Valley drive after dinner and spotted a small brown dot across the river by a small thermal feature on the south side of Hayden. It was too small to be a bison and from how it moved I knew I was looking at a grizzly. I didn't have my binoculars with so I looked through my lens of my camera and confirmed I was indeed looking at a grizzly. Robert, Wanda, Jay and Cassandra had left behind me so after watching for awhile I turned around and met them at a pullout and brought them back to the area so they too could see him.

On my return to Canyon I stopped to watch a coyote cross the road in front of me and then open his mouth for a wide yawn. I guess it was one busy day for that little coyote, too.