"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, April 26, 2010

Scarface

Hello to Ken from Lafayette, LA who will be joining the Canyon General Store team next month! And another Hello to Pat D. from Thayne, WY (summer) and Pahrump, NV (winter) who's grandfather built the roads in Yellowstone and great-grandfather was a wagon master and Indian Scout. I bet there are some fascinating family stories there!

Currently I sit about 35 miles and one construction zone away from a place I can upload pictures. Fortunately I have a managers meeting next Monday and Tuesday in West Yellowstone at the Holiday Inn (which happens to be owned by Delaware North which also owns the Yellowstone General Stores) where I can take advantage of some serious uploading. I should be use to the slow internet and the occasional cell phone glitches that happen around here but I still let out a grrr when the technology frustration monster rears its head. The good news is that I got my cell phone back and I at least feel halfway human again. Though I may not have signal at times and at many places in the Park there is some comfort that comes with that small silver piece of plastic and metal in my pocket. And when it rings it is music to my ears......literally. But my Ozzy Osborne singing Crazy Train ringtone just doesn't seem to have that Yellowstone feel so I've been thinking about changing it to something more along the lines of frogs croaking or birds singing. Besides my Ozzy ringtone has actually frightened small children. All Abooooaaaaard!

I have been hearing tons of wildlife reports. Scarface, the local grizzly that charged Becky and Barney has been in the area, possibly the bear by the parking lot last weekend. Yesterday he was spotted across the from the riding stables south of Canyon.

Today Robert and Wanda watched a grizzly on a carcass on Swan Lake Flat where the wolves came and chased it away. I took a trip up there after work and saw at least one wolf but no grizzly. Also, Mark saw a black bear by Tower and Andrea watched a black bear and 3 coyotes by Floating Island. Lake Everyone with days off in the next couple of days are planning their agendas and I'm sure there will be a few YGS employees driving by those areas.

Along with my wolf sighting tonight I saw Big Boy, the Magnificent One and the Dorm Bison. There are a couple of ravens that like to hangout by the Adventure Store. Employees from previous years called one Edgar. Unfortunately they can be quite a nuisance. They like to walk around the patio area and beg food from the guests by showing off their mighty squawking voice. Some people enjoy the antics and unfortunately today I saw some enjoy it so much that they decided to toss it food to encourage it. I had to go out and kindly remind them that feeding the wildlife, including the birds, is not legal in the Park.

Another animal that people like to feed are the coyotes. These clever little beasts will actually pretend to be injured by limping up to picnickers who will feel sorry for the coyote and toss it food only to be surprised when the coyote leaps on it and then runs away like an Olympic track and fielder. Animals habituated to human handouts almost always has a very sad ending for the animals and can create a very dangerous situation for the humans.