"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Beginning Work

While wasting 4 hours between check-in and orientation on Tuesday I drove around some more in the park. I had to pull over to the side of the road as the YNP Rangers on horseback herded the buffalo further into the interior of the park. It was quite amazing to watch a huge herd of bison running straight toward the car only to veer off at the last moment.

I have been assigned to the apparel department. I have spent the past couple of days folding and putting away thousands of t-shirts, hats, socks, sweatshirts, etc. I have gotten to know almost all of my co-workers and enjoy them all. Our work hours are 8:00 until 4:30 with an hour off for lunch. Our store opens at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon. I am quite amazed at how many people here have either lived in or know someone who lives in Minnesota (Grand Forks, Crookston, Alexandria).

A few of us took a trip to Hayden Valley last night and apparently drove right past a pack of 7 wolves, but we missed seeing them ourselves. We also have a couple resident grizzlies in Canyon Village as well as a couple wolves that roam the area. I have yet to see either but chances are good as the bears like to walk around the parking lot. On Saturday night a large group of us are planning on heading up to Lamar Valley with a sandwich dinner. We are all itching to see the wildlife there.

I have been in both snow and rain storms. At times it does both, my first experience with thundersnow. The lightening is quite amazing and its interesting to watch the different types of weather come over the mountains.

Tonight a couple of my co-workers taught me how to play a card game called Hand & Foot. We had a great time and we will probably be playing it quite a bit this summer. They are a couple of ladies, Shirley and Jeanette, who are on the same dorm floor as myself (there are only 3 of us in our wing at this time). I was asked if I would rather have the 'young person' dorm wing or the 'older lady' dorm wing. 'Older Lady' won hands down and Shirley, Jeanette and I are become fast friends.