"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Groceries

Today I was cashiering again and I'm getting proficient at it. I was assigned to the grocery department for the day and had a blast at it. Lots of interesting people from all over the world to visit with. Communication can be a barrier at times but we all work through it. I helped a woman from Japan today, she was buying sandwiches for lunch and she had what she assumed was a small carton of milk but it was really whipping cream. I realized that she was going to have a big surprise when she had a gulp with her lunch so I showed her the difference between the milk cartons and the whipping cream cartons.

The Xantara employees are beginning to show up. They work the lodge and restaurant. I was rather annoyed by a young lady buying a bottle of wine with the very last of her money (she admitted that she didn't get paid for another 2 weeks). She was 29 cents too short and insinuated that I should short my till the money. I told her she had 20 minutes until we closed and she could run back to her dorm for more money. Instead she approached our guests asking each one of them for the money. I would of politely put a stop to that but I was swamped at my till and eventually someone gave her the 29 cents. I was not going to start off the summer with them having the attitude that we would let things slide with them.

A group of us went to Hayden after dinner and saw another grizzly. Later at the dorms we heard coyotes yipping and howling so we flew out the door and found them across the road laying on what appears to be their den. It would be great if they had pups, they would be fun to watch tussling around.