"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hungry Like the Wolf

I spent most of the day stocking shelves for the gift department. It's actually quite fun to search through the warehouse for the items that need to be put out. I also did a bit of cashiering in the grocery department. It's always busy there and will only get busier when the campground opens.

After work I headed to Gardiner and stopped at the Yellowstone Association store there. It's large and has a great selection of books. Being a Delaware North employee I get a 30% discount on everything in the store. I bought a Yellowstone Association sweatshirt, a book on wolves and one on bison. It was then off to visit the old Gardiner cemetery. It's always interesting to walk through old west cemeteries.

I decided to head back to Canyon via Tower Junction. It was a good call because half way between Mammoth and Tower I got to watch a pack of 7 wolves feast on a carcass (possibly an elk). Until tonight I have only seen lone wolves so seeing a pack was a thrill. I'll have to check my wolf map to see what pack they belonged to. There was quite an assortment of colors: grey to black.

Baby elk are beginning to be born. Last night there were 2 babies in Hayden Valley and I suspect that there were more born since then. There is still only 1 bison calf that I've seen there but the bison are still coming in. When the snow is gone in the higher elevations it will be easier for the calves to cross the mountains to get to Hayden.