"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Grizzly Bear Delight

This morning I went down to Hayden Valley by myself. I got to watch 3 grizzly bears. I drove back to Canyon and picked up Shirley so that she could come watch them with me.

Today my work day was filled with learning how to work the cash register. I am assured that it won't be as complicated as I am thinking it is. So much to know.

After work 11 of us (Shirley, Lavender, Thom, Carl, Jack, Tracy, Luke, Dave, Craig, Jeannie, and myself) went back to Hayden Valley and watched 2 grizzlies. We decided that Lamar Valley was too far. Then it was a stop at the Devil's Mouth and the Mud Volcano and then it was off to Fishing Bridge to have a picnic dinner.

Carl is great to have along on these adventures as he is a fountain of info. This is his 34th year in the park, and his 6th year working here. Thom is from Vietnam and Tracy and Lavender (their American names) are from China.

We met up with Brandon on his Harley and went and watched a black bear just east of Fishing Bridge. Avoiding the ever present bison on the road we stopped at Hayden again with no luck of seeing any more grizzlies but did manage to spot our friend the coyote again by Canyon. Our night finished up with the ice cream social. It was quite an eventful day.