"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bison Dorm Revisits

I am once again sitting in the internet cafe. This time I have my new flash drive in hand that is loaded with all my pictures. Unfortunately, for some reason I am unable to upload them. Argh. Technology can be such a challenge sometimes.

Yesterday I headed to Cody. I left at 8:30 am and when I headed into Hayden Valley where there was a huge fog bank across the valley. I wanted to take a picture of it but I didn't think that a picture would actually capture how huge and beautiful it was. As I headed out the east gate I was immediately greeted by a huge bull moose grazing off the side of the road. So many people want to see moose in the park but their numbers have decreased over the years since the fires of 1988. I am fortunate that I have seen 4 of them now. Great animals!

Last night on my cruise on the north loop I watched a grizzly bear walking across a slope on the Blacktail Plateau. A grizzly sighting always causes excitement.

I then took the Blacktail Plateau Drive and with some fidgeting with my camera I managed to figure out how to do time delay. This is great to figure out so that I can actually be in some of my pictures. Up to this point I have had to rely on asking strangers to take my picture (and I usually end up with my eyes closed or something along those lines so there are no retakes).

This morning before heading into West Yellowstone with Neal (who is along for the ride and some shopping) I had to to delay my departure as a huge bull bison wandered into the park area behind the store. He drank from a puddle and then started demolishing a sapling by rubbing his head on it. I took pictures and videos as he finally wandered over to the dorm, up the sidewalk and then went behind the dorm. I'm glad that Neal spotted him before I ran outside and straight into him.