"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, July 6, 2009

Yellowstone Newspaper

Up until today I thought dear old dad was the only one who actually read my blog. Then at 4:00 this afternoon I was made aware that there are quite a few people who actually read what I'm writing. My first thought was I sure hope I haven't written anything politically incorrect. And then I thought about all those posts where I didn't use spellcheck.

I was sitting on the floor in the warehouse unwrapping bobble head bison, elk, bears, eagles, etc. and then hanging tiny Yellowstone signs around their necks (life is not always glamorous in Yellowstone, but always interesting) surrounded by a pile of bubble wrap so high that it possibly had it's own weather system when I'm called to the front of the store by my supervisor. There I met Patty Owens from Illinois. She informs me that she reads my blog every morning and had found it from the Yellowstone Newspaper site. I almost fell over. After a quick recovery and a pleasant chat with Patty I realized that I'm feeling quite inspired again. Frankly, I really didn't think anyone would be interested in whether I was working in Confections or Gifts or if I saw a bull elk or not. I guess I was pleasantly mistaken.

I have decided that since there are people out there reading this that I would cordially invite you to stop in at the Yellowstone General Store in Canyon and say "Hi" to me or even contact me at my e-mail address:

tenmileranch@hotmail.com

As I've mentioned in the past, the Internet here is very slow and sometimes impossible to get onto at times so be patient with me and my replies to you.

And since I am newly inspired about my blog again I took a drive after work to look for wildlife so I would have something more interesting to write about than my mandatory dorm meeting tonight. My first sighting was pretty obvious: a bison walking down the middle of the road north of Norris. He could possibly of been one the bison's from the group that I've nicknamed 'The Magnificent 7'. That would be the group who seems to really relish holding up traffic in that area. Later on, at Hanging Island Lake, I saw 'The King of Sloppy Eaters': a bull moose. He was wading around at the far edge of the lake eating and dripping water from his mouth. He was just developing a nice rack and he was actually my first moose I've seen feeding in the water. To make it more interesting 3 mule deer walked down to the lake on the eastern side. I passed a bear jam on the south side of Dunraven Pass but it was up on a slope and because my car roof isn't invisible I wasn't able to see it. I just drove on back to Canyon as it was getting dark.

This morning as I was sitting outside the dorms on the back steps and I looked to my right and realized a mule deer was strolling by. He stopped and looked at me and made a little deer noise and strolled on. There have been a few mule deer hanging out by the dorms lately. One of The Boys of Summer has been holding up traffic by feeding and lounging by the turnoff to Inspiration Point. He's gorgeous. Later in the day, during my afternoon break, I sat at the picnic table outside and listened to the thunder as a storm came through.

Yesterday morning I got up early and Carl and I went for a hike on the North Rim Trail. We picked up the hike where we left off a few weeks ago. We started off by hiking down to the brink of the Lower Falls. The water is flowing hard and fast and it roars loudly. We finished the hike at the brink of the Upper Falls. What a great trail to hike. Then it was off to work in grocery. It was extremely busy in the grocery section, as it always is.

And finally, thanks to Yellowstone Newspaper. Thank you for finding my blog interesting enough to comment on and put on your site.