"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Crazy Hat Day

We celebrated the 4th of July with Crazy Hat Day. I made a hat that looks like a dual celebration hat: 4th of July and Kentucky Derby. I guess my hat was a hit as my co-workers and even some guests took my picture. The store was suprisingly slow today. Weekends are usually slower than weekdays so none of us knew what to expect today. For lunch the EDR provided us and some of the park rangers with a BBQ. There were all the typical 4th of July fixin's such as hamburgers, beans, watermelon, and potato salad. The EDR was decorated with all sorts of streamers, flags and banners. It was great and I took a lot of pictures throughout the day.

This morning I decided to take a quick drive through Hayden Valley. I saw a large herd of bison moving across the valley. I took a moment to watch and realized that even without fireworks I was probably looking at one of the most American scenes possible: Yellowstone and the bison. Now that's a nice 4th of July experience.