"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cody

I have been working the late shift this week and I've been having problems getting on the computer after work. With today off I managed to get to the computer while early shift is at work and late shift is still sleeping.

The big news that people are still in shock with is that Brandon left on Sunday without saying goodbye to anyone. No one had a clue he was gone until Jean came to the dorm Monday morning looking for him when he didn't show up to work. When he didn't answer his door she opened it and found in cleared out with his uniform laying on the bed. We are all in shock and miss him. Shirley had to leave last week when her cousin was near death. Brandon was the 4th person to leave so far this year. Luke leaves July 15 so Jeannie and I decided to plan his party.

Last night we had a surprise going away part (a scheduled leave) for Tracy and Lavender. The will be touring the US and then they will go back to China. Linda, Mickie and Jeannie had a cake made at COSCO and they received presents. Tracy cried she was so touched. They were given pink Yellowstone aprons and we all signed them. They are adorable and everyone loves them.

Yesterday I went to Cody via Sylvan Pass. The purple flowers are in bloom along the side of the roadways and the Shoshone River is flowing hard and fast. It is a beautiful drive in the canyon just outside of the park. It was very warm (85 degrees) and I caught some sun while driving along. In Cody I only made 3 stops: Family Dollar, Sierra Trading Company and Walmart. The 4th of July is Crazy Hat Day in the store so I stopped at Family Dollar to pick up some decorations for my hat (a cowboy hat supplied by the company). Using my park employee discount I bought a couple pairs of pants at Sierra Trading Company. With all my walking around at work I appear to have lost some 'insulation' and I got tired of having to hike up my pants. And then Walmart was for their Mt. Dew sale and laundry detergent.

I work the late shift on the 4th of July. I worked on my crazy hat last night and I made sure others were wearing hats.........I certainly didn't want to be the only one to make and wear one. The NPS employees were invited to our picnic outside the back of the store. I guess the EDR cooks are expecting quite a showing for the picnic.

There have been a few employees that have been sick lately. It has been spreading through the dorms. I have been lucky and haven't caught anything yet. A few people show up and then get sick with altitude sickness but I managed to miss that, too.