"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bear(ly) Hanging On

I witnessed something that rates very high on the cuteness scale. By Roosevelt I saw a tiny black bear cub that had climbed a lodgepole pine and out onto on of it's branches. The branch was bobbing up and down and the little cub was hanging on for dear life. And of course my camera malfunctioned and I missed possibly the best picture ever. Later on Dunraven Pass I saw a cinnamon colored black bear wandering around. It was an excellent black bear night.

I went to my 3rd ranger talk tonight. This one was about the Yellowstone River and it's geology and the wildlife found around it. It was very interesting but I had a hard time paying attention since I was having to swat the mosquitoes that decided to join the audience.

Bright and early this morning I got to listen to some coyotes howling somewhere in the Canyon Village area. It is a sound that can stop a person and send them into a trance. If a person closes their eyes they can almost picture them throwing their heads back and howling. I love the sound of the coyotes and they are quite entertaining to watch when they are mousing. I also saw some mule deer by Mammoth today. And after a 2 week absence I spotted one of the snowshoe hares hopping around by the dorm.

Today at work I was at a register in groceries. I think that I may be spending every Sunday in that department. It was very busy this afternoon and I certainly don't mind that as it makes the time go fast. It does limit the amount of time I get to visit with people but it does appear that just about everyone is in a good mood. They are in Yellowstone after all.

Wildlife Sightings

Grizzly Bear: 31
Black Bear: 18
Moose: 2
Wolves: 12
Coyotes: 5