"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away

The weather has been rainy lately. The sky gets very dark over Mt. Washburn and the thunder rolls in. I wonder what the weather is like on the other side of the pass. It can be clear and beautiful on one side and dark and miserable on the other. Incredibly it seems to clear up right when we all get off from work and then cloud up again right at dusk.

Dale, Tracy and I worked in Confections today. With the cold weather very few people are getting ice cream but we did sell a lot of hot chocolate and coffee.

On my nightly trek to Hayden Valley I stopped to watch a herd of buffalo by the Yellowstone River. There was a tiny little baby bison with them. They all headed into the river, which is moving rather swiftly and swam across. I watched them with my binoculars and paid special attention to the baby. I lost sight of the little one and my heart sank as I searched downstream for its bobbing little head. Luckily I did find it safe and sound across the river with its mother.

Every night the pull outs are lined with people with their cameras and spotting scopes. I find that I am passing up most of these areas in search of a more easily accessed and less crowded spot (as less crowded as can be expected in Hayden Valley in the summer). The temps are about 48 degrees in the evening so I haven't pulled out my chair and scope for a longer vigil, I only stop and scan the woodline and move on to another spot.