"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, June 8, 2009

The Espresso Express

I started out the morning cashiering in gifts and then was moved back to Confections. It was time for me to learn how to use the espresso machine. I've never had a latte or an espresso and so it was interesting learning what goes into those drinks. I have to say that espressos look and taste quite disgusting. My first latte was a double and and I wasn't too impressed with the taste of that one either. A vanilla latte wasn't too bad. Lattes and espressos are very popular and I'm glad the machine is up and going as people were getting testy without their morning shot of strong coffee. It can take quite awhile to make an order so it can get quite backed up with the coffee making business and I have to hustle.

It rained and snowed again today but the sun would peak through at times. The temps were in the 40's and after work I went to Hayden. Not much out except for the bison and elk, the weather is not conducive to wildlife watching. I did get to watch a series of rain and snow clouds move across the valley and the snow fall on the mountains. It's very impressive to watch.

I finished my grizzly book the other day and started on my wolf book. It's a thick book and decided to put it off and start my Native American History in Yellowstone book. Very interesting and I hope to see some of the sights that are told about in the book. I'll start at the obvious place, Sheepeaters Cliff. The Sheepeaters were part of the Shoshone tribe and lived in the park and their major food source was big horn sheep. Many of the Shoshone bands were named after what they ate. The Sheepeaters were eventually forced from the Yellowstone area and forced onto a reservation. Sheepeaters Cliff is an area south of Mammoth where they lived.