"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, June 15, 2009

Split Shifts

The store went to the long hours today (7:30am to 9:30pm) and so now I have split shifts. My hours this week are 11:30 - 3:00 and 5:45 - 9:45. Working the late shift has a definate drawback, I can't go to Hayden Valley at night but I suppose I can go in the mornings. I will have to wait until next week to take in the ranger talks that are every evening at 9:30.

This morning I did my laundry and layed around watched tv in my sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I sat around outside with the two snowshoe hares that live by the dorms. They are very comfortable with people around and one even sat under a tree about 12 feet from me and fell asleep.

I was in Confections again today. This afternoon I did the fudge and the ice cream and this evening I did the ice cream, fudge and was the barista. I never know where I will be or what I will do until I come in the mornings. I usually have to check early as I have to wear my hair up under my hat when I work in Confections.

We got in 14 new employees today. They are all from Asian countries and none of them really speak English. This should be interesting as some of them are to be servers in The Fountain and some in Confections. We are happy to have some other employees.