"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Friday, June 19, 2009

According to the Jackson Hole newspaper the person who went over the edge into the canyon was a 20 year old man from Utah. He apparently threw himself into the Yellowstone River at the brink of the Lower Falls. It also said that his body hasn't been found at the printing of the article (yesterdays paper). I heard helicopters over the canyon on Wednesday and it is an almost impossible river the access for about 20 miles.

Last night I went with Rosie, Brandon and Debbie to Hayden Valley to look for animals. We ran into the ranger from the previous evening. He was telling the charging bison story to a small group of people. We didn't see much except for one grizzly. There were wolves in the area but we were unable to see them.

During break today I took Neil down to Hayden and saw very little. Not surprising since it is finally a warm (65 degrees) sunny day and most animals will find a cool shady spot to stay in. I then took him to Artist Point to see a spectacular view of the Lower Falls.

Tomorrow morning at 8:00 Carl and I are going to hike the Canyon Rim Trail since we don't work until 11:30. I haven't hiked with Carl since our hike to Trout Lake a few weeks ago. My days off were switched so I don't have the time to go out with him like I used to. I still will find time to have him teach me how to flyfish.

2009 Wildlife Viewing

Grizzly Bears: 28
Black Bears: 13
Moose: 2
Coyotes: 4
Wolves: 12