"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, June 20, 2009

North Rim Trail

This morning started off beautiful. Lots of sun and fairly warm. I had woke up every 45 minutes through the night so I was pretty tired but I managed to drag myself out of bed at 7:00, throw some clothes and a hat on, eat breakfast and meet Carl for our morning hike. We drove 2 vehicles and left one at the Lower Falls overlook and then we both drove down to Inspiration Point to start our hike on the North Rim Trail. The trail has spectacular views of the Yellowstone River in the canyon and lots of drop offs. I certainly didn't get to close to the edge. I took some pictures along the way; a few of Carl and I even turned my camera over to him to get the rare picture of myself by the canyon. I saw evidence of bison and elk having used the trail and since I forgot my bear spray in my room I was ultra careful about my surroundings. Luckily the only wildlife I saw was the occassional chipmunk.

Carl and I decided to next try the trail from the Lower Falls overlook to the brink of the Upper Falls next time. Maybe on Tuesday after work we'll do it. We were to do it tomorrow morning but I think I'll use my last day of the late shift sleeping in. On Monday I will be on the early shift and I will need to be at work at 7:15 am.

The body of the man who jumped into the Lower Falls still has not been found though the park service reportedly found his clothing in the river. A few years ago an employee in the park drove off the road into the Yellowstone River late at night and her remains (actually her skull) were not found for 4 years in Gardiner many miles down stream. The boy scout who drowned in the river about 6 years ago was never found. It's a wild and dangerous river in spots that sometimes keeps its victims.

It was a good thing that we hiked this morning and not during our afternoon break (3:00 - 5:45) as it started to rain right after I got off. It has rained nearly everyday for the past 3 weeks. At least it seems to be getting warmer out.

My day at work consisted of me cashiering in the Bull Pen. I enjoy working all over the store in different areas. Sometimes I am in the front of the Bull Pen where I can look outside at the mountains when it's slow and sometimes I'm in the back where the knives and binoculars are. There I have a view of the restrooms and the warehouse (and the apparel dept. which makes up for the other view).