"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It's a Bust

With the day off I decided to go to West Yellowstone and track down a dentist (I cracked a molar) and try out the internet cafe. I left Canyon at 8:30 and stopped at Fishing Bridge and then proceeded on the south loop over to Madison Jct. and then west to West Yellowstone. About 2 miles west of the junction I came across a couple buffalo wandering down the middle of the east lane. I got by easily but there were 75 - 100 cars and buses stuck behind the meandering buffalo. Once in West Yellowstone I stopped at the visitor center only to find out that West Yellowstone does not have a dentist. Then it was off to the internet cafe with plans of uploading pictures onto this blog. The employee was helping me get all set up but for some reason I could not get on the internet. I struck out twice in West Yellowstone.

I went back into the park and about 1/2 mile from Madison Jct. I stopped to watch a coyote moving around the fallen trees. He was obviously looking for some little rodent to have for lunch. I decided to head north, something I really didn't want to do because of the possible 30 minute delay for road construction. I ended up cruising right through it with only a 5 minute delay. I went all the way to Gardiner in search of a dentist. I stopped at the Chamber of Commerce only to learn that Gardiner also does not have a dentist. Another bust. Tomorrow I will locate one in Livingston and make an appointment for next week.

On my way back into the park I stopped to watch 4 adult female big horn sheep and 3 little babies crawling around the rocky slopes. It's like the they have suction cups for feet to hold them onto the side of the mountain. I headed east where I came across a whole other herd of big horn sheep by Tower Falls. At this point I've decided that I won't continue on with my big horn sheep count on my wildlife sightings. But I'll certainly mention when I see them. Further on from Tower, right before Dunraven Pass, I came across a huge grizzly digging around on the side of a hill. It was incredible and the closest I've come to one (I was in my car). Unfortunately, I couldn't stop and had to keep moving without getting a picture of it.

Jackie and John invited me to their RV this evening to use their Verizon internet connection. Thus the picture of the wolf I uploaded. They are nice people from Missouri and they brought their 2 dogs with them so I got a few nice sloppy kisses from them. At their RV they have a place to have a campfire so we are planning on having a fire and roast hot dogs when the weather is a little warmer. They said I can use their internet whenever so I'll try and upload some more pictures in the near future.