"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The 5 Bears

Getting on the computer has been an issue lately. When I get on it I am having problems getting Blogger and Hotmail to load. It's really been a hit and miss lately.

I am back in Confections cashiering. I am rather relieved that my barista time is over. Half the time I want to grab the espresso machine off the counter and throw it out the door. The lines can be huge for the ice cream, fudge and regular coffee and it slows everything down incredibly when large espresso, latte, etc. orders are put in. Making specialized coffees can be a time consuming ordeal in tight quarters and only 3 people working the area.

I have also found out that I have a few pet peeves, which are shared by the majority of cashiers. People for some reason think it is really helpful to give a cashier the exact change. That's fine but digging for 3 pennies in the bottom of a purse with 20 people in line behind you is not exactly helpful. If a person wants to get rid of a bunch of excess change a fast paced check out is not really a good time to do it. If no one is in line that's one thing but long lines is another. And the biggest one is after I start giving back change it's really hard to switch gears when a person miraculously finds some extra change to throw in. Yes, it's easy math but a cashier is usually 2 steps ahead of themselves and the brain has to come to a halt and back up and figure out the new total to give back. Believe me (every cashier I have talked to hates when this is done) it may be easy for the customer to figure out the change because they are not under pressure to remember orders and hurry the people through the line. And that's my rant for the day on what is not helpful to a cashier. By the way, all of the above has happened numerous times to me and I've handled each one fairly well and with a smile but you should hear what I'm saying in my head.

Last night I drove the north loop and took Brandon and Dave along. Dave does not have a car and this was his first time being in that part of the park in over 4 weeks of being here. It was a good wildlife spotting night as we saw a total of 5 black bears, two were a mother bear and her cub. We also saw a couple elk with huge racks right by the side of the road. We all got pictures and videos (except for Dave because he forgot his camera) of each of the bears. In Mammoth we stopped to watch a herd of elk laying in the yards of the houses there. With them were all of their elk calves nibbling on grass. It's the closest I've been to the calves this year as the other ones I've seen have been off in the distance. Mammoth is a great place to see elk. They walk down the road there like the bison do in other parts of the park.