"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, November 21, 2009

My alarm clock this morning was the dragging blade of a snowplow as it came by at 6:30. When I hear that noise I know it snowed overnight. There wasn't much snow on the ground, an inch or two, but I love the white and it makes everything look so much more beautiful. It is sunny here now but I can see the clouds dumping some more snow up in the surrounding mountains.

A couple nights ago my neighbor had saw a wolf in the Yak and the next morning came out to find wolf prints around the road and his vehicle. It had been chasing an elk down the road and across a boardwalk one row over from my place. I've heard numerous stories about the wildlife coming into the Yak and I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open for the animals.

The elk were by the store yesterday. A couple younger bucks like to tussle around with their antlers. I sat outside yesterday afternoon to watch 3 elk graze behind the store. They would grab the stem of some long vegetation and pull it through their mouth as they stripped the leaves off. I could hear the stalk of each plant squeak through their mouths. It was entertaining and then a little rabbit came hopping by their feet. Earlier in the week I found coyote prints in the parking area behind the store. I always look around when I head back to the garbage dumpster, I'm never sure what I will see.