"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, November 23, 2009

Realm of the Coyote

Thanks to Steve I now know that the National Geographic film about the Yellowstone coyote is called Realm of the Coyote. Thanks Steve for emailing me the info. Great film. So in honor of finding out the name I have included yet another leaping coyote picture. This guy was mousing in Lamar this morning and he spent a great deal of time burying his face in the snow looking for lunch before making this acrobatic leap into the air.

The above picture I took of Mammoth this morning on my way back from Lamar. The picture below I took yesterday to show what Mammoth looks like on a snowy Sunday afternoon. If you have only been here in the summer it is hard to believe that it can be so empty. The congestion of summer is gone but in about 3 weeks the hotel will open for the winter season and it will be bustling with activity again.


And this is me with a rock and a tree just above the Lamar River on the way into Lamar Valley.