"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Single File


This photo shows how the elk crossed the valley in single file while a bison looks on.



I've decided that driving through Yellowstone now is like taking a trip through time. Maybe not a time frame of a few thousand or million years but of the past few months. I find that as I pass certain areas of the Park I am remembering what I had seen in those areas. "I remember the time I saw a grizzly bear here." or "I remember when I saw a baby black bear cub hanging from a limb here." And yes, I have the occasional "I remember when that idiot stopped right in the middle of the road and ran over the hill with his camera here." Right now I know I will someday be driving along and then recall how I watched the elk crossing over the valley in single file.