"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Friday, November 13, 2009

Yak Camp

r
Here is the Yak Camp, where I now live in Yellowstone. It is hidden from the roads and overviews so many people don't know it even exists. The only view of the Yak is from the trail up to Bunsen Peak. The Yak is home to seasonal park service employees, some Xanterra employees and 2 of the 5 winter YGS employees.

There was quite a snowfall to the north of here yesterday. Bozeman received about 18 inches and Livingston was hit, too. As for Mammoth we got about 2 - 3 inches with more toward the Norris area according to workers traveling in the park. It was beautiful coming down and the surrounding mountains look awesome with the snow cover.

There have been reports of rams in the canyon on the way to Gardiner. I am obviously not going to Gardiner at the right times because I have yet to see one in that area. I'll be taking a trip through that area after work so maybe I'll catch a glimpse of one. But then again, it should be dark so that would mean it would have to be standing in the middle of the road for me to see it. I guess I hope I don't see one today