"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

3 Inches

Thanks to Alan I now know the ducks I was seeing are called Barrow's Goldeneye. Thanks Alan for the info!

YNP was in a Winter Storm Warning yesterday. It snowed most of the day but nothing that stuck around in Mammoth. This morning I heard the snowplows come by at 4:30 and discovered that about 3 inches fell, and this time it stuck. I was hoping for more but I will take what I can get. When I'm at work the snowplow guys plow out my parking area at the YCC for me. I am so glad for that because I don't have a shovel. I have been using a broom to sweep off my stairs and car and my broom is no match against a large area of snow.
The elk have been in Mammoth lately, I am even seeing them in the mornings at the Yak. Yesterday on my way to work I had to come to a stop in the road as elk and a coyote wandered around the road.
I read in the paper yesterday that a snowmobiler had been killed in an avalanche near Cooke City. A grim reminder that beautiful places can also be dangerous.