"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Eve in Mammoth

The Mammoth Yellowstone General Store Employees
Here is the Mammoth Yellowstone General Store gang wearing their festive New Years Eve hats and having dinner at the Mammoth Dining Room. It was our belated Christmas Party and Judy had some relatives visiting so they got to hep us celebrate. Prime Rib and Cheesecake!!
This picture was taken 12/28 but it accurately shows how Mammoth looks today. Lots of cars and visiting people. The store has been busy and I'm enjoying visiting with everyone. One couple who had been in the store earlier in the day on Thursday came back to breathlessly tell me about seeing a baby wolf. It turns out they saw a coyote.......and a familiar coyote. Once they talked about how it wandered down the middle of the road about 5 miles east of here I figured out they had been Trotterized. They weren't one bit upset when they found out their baby wolf was actually a coyote when they realized that I knew exactly the coyote that they were talking about.

With the store closed for New Years Day I decided to head to Lamar where there have been a lot of wolf sightings these past couple of days. Coming onto the Blacktail I was met with..........Trotter. It was perfect timing as he climbed out of the ditch and onto the road right in front of me. This time instead of trotting down the middle of the road he just crossed over to the other side. I snapped a few photos and moved on. I watched a herd of bison laying in the snow by Little America and I also saw the numerous cars of those watching for the wolves. In Lamar I watched numerous American Dippers dive into the Lamar River and then pushed forward. Two days before Judy and her family had watched some otters just past Pebble Creek and I really wanted to see if they would make a showing for me. No such luck.