"There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. It is, in brief, that the country belongs to the people, that it is in process of making for the enrichment of the lives of all of us. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mammoth Sunrise and other Pictures

This is the sunrise that I saw from my kitchen window the other morning.
The view I see on my drive to work every morning.

My morning started out with sweeping between 4 and 6 inches of snow off my steps and car. It is so nice to have snow here. It snowed huge fluffy flakes all day yesterday and into the night. I had today off, Betty switched days with me so that her and Connie could take a snowcoach tomorrow. The roads were rather slick today and it became quickly evident how slippery they were when I came across a car that slid off the road on the Blacktail. It would not be the only vehicle I saw off the road on my travel to Lamar today. I also saw a truck stuck in the snow off the side of the road in Lamar. On my way back to Mammoth I came across a coyote wandering the road by the Tower Ranger Station. After I made my way past him/her a car coming from the other direction flagged me to stop. When I rolled down my window I warned her that there was a car right behind her. Having to make a quick decision the driver behind her hit the snow instead of her car. She wanted to know how much further Lamar was while the poor guy in the other vehicle was hopelessly stuck in the snowbank. She drove away and I offered to help. Luckily for all involved a guy came with a tow strap.


Slippery road on the Blacktail.



Elk by Mammoth this morning.
I am currently sitting in an a shop in Gardiner that sells coffee and has the internet. I finally am able to upload some of the pictures that I have taken these past couple of weeks.



Wolf by Petrified Tree







View from my kitchen window of an elk


Ram by the hitching posts


Bighorn sheep by Yellowstone River


6 bull elks on the Blacktail (only the antlers of one is visible over the hill)


Connie and I visit with Dung & Dunger

Victor, Daniel and Kara
from
Dung & Dunger
Connie and I at the K Bar in our Dung & Dunger shirts